Safta's Fruit Filling
1 cup apricots
1-1/2 cups prunes
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup walnuts
rind from 1 lemon or 1 orange
optional orange marmalade
Simmer apricots, prunes, and raisins in some water until soft, about 10 minutes. Chop with remaining ingredients.
Dough (from Joan Nathan via Epicurious.com):
2/3 cup butter (or margarine)
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1. Cream the butter with the sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and continue creaming until smooth.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until it holds together in a ball--not sticky but not dry.
3. Chill for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
4. Taking one fourth of the dough, roll out on a lightly floured board to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut into 2 1/2-inch circles.
5. Drop 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Wet the edges with a bit of water. Bring the dough around the filling and press 3 ends together.
6. Bake on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the corners are just starting to brown. To store: loosely cover with foil. (They should be firm--if you put them in Tupperware, they will get soft).