3 pounds lamb—combination stew meat and neck bones
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
1/4 cup minced garlic
1-2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup matzo meal (or substitute bread crumbs)
1 quart beef stock
1 cup diced carrots
1 leek, light green part, sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp chopped mint
cayenne pepper, just a dash
1. Season lamb cubes with salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and paprika.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add lamb cubes and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove lamb from pan.
3. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic and saute 3-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, blending well into mixture. Sprinkle in matzo meal and stir until incorporated. Return lamb to pan and add stock.
4. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook 1 hour or until lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Add carrots and cook an additional 10 minutes or until tender. Add leeks. Simmer 10 minutes more. Add parsley, cilantro and mint. Add salt and pepper as needed. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes.