1/4 cup canola oil
6 cloves garlic
3 small onions, quartered
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons curry powder
optional powders: allspice, cardamom, cloves, chili, cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
4 skinless chicken legs (about 1 pound)
4 skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
1 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 lemon, quartered
1 tablespoon dried sumac
1. Heat oil in a six-quart pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic, onions, potatoes, bay leaves, spice mixture, turmeric, and salt.
3. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pot occasionally, until onions and potatoes are golden, about 10 minutes.
4. Add chicken and 3 1/2 cups water; stir to combine.
5. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
6. Add chickpeas; cook for 5 minutes more. Taste the stew and season with more salt, to taste. Let cook up to 30 extra minutes on low for a thicker stew.
7. Ladle stew over bread or rice. Squeeze a wedge of lemon over each bowl and sprinkle with sumac.