Cumin Meatballs (Cuminov Kufta)
From Secrets of Cooking Armenian/Lebanese/Persian
• 1 pound ground lamb or beef
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
• 3 to 5 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2 T. vegetable oil
• 1 T. tomato paste
• 2 T. lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• Salt and freshly ground peper to taste
1. Mix meat, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Divide into 20 equal-size balls. Roll each ball into egg shape. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add meatballs, brown on all sides. Remove from skillet, and set aside. Drain skillet.
3. Pour 3/4 cup water into a measuring cup. (The bigger kind that measures liquid.) Add tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper and then stir together. Pour into skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cook 5 minutes. Return meat to skillet and cook just until heated through.
Armenian Turkey Fasulia (Green Beans and Ground Turkey)
From "The ORULLIAN FAMILY Armenian American Cookbook."
-1 lb. ground turkey
-1 onion, sliced
-1-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 lbs. fresh green beans
-1 14.5-oz. can tomatoes, diced
-1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
-1/2 c. water
-2-3 tsp. allspice
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 T. sugar
Saute meat in large pot, stirring to break up pieces.
Add onions and garlic to meat and cook together for a few minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and allspice.
Stir green beans into meat mixture, and cook over medium heat, sturiing occasionally. Keep pan covered when not stirring. Cook about 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sugar to pot and cook about 30 minutes, keeping pot covered.
Armenian Rice Pilaf
-1 1/2 cups water
-1 cup white, long grain rice
-1 heaping teaspoon chicken bouillon
-1/2 cup vermicelli, broken in little pieces
-1 1/2 T. unsalted butter
Heat butter in saucepan until frothy. Add vermicelli; saute until golden. (It's easy to burn so watch this closely.) Add rice, stir. Add water. Add chicken bouillon, stir to mix. Bring to boil and then turn down to simmer. Cover and cook for 16 minutes on low or until done.
Armenian Potato and Meat Bake (KEDNAKUNTZOROV MEES)From Secrets of Cooking Armenian/Lebanese/Persian
• 1 pound potatoes
• 1 pound ground beef, lamb, or turkey (I used turkey)
• 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
• Dash Paprika
• Dash Cayenne
• Kosher Salt to taste
• 1/4 cup bread crumbs
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
• 1 medium tomato, sliced
• 3 T. tomato paste
• 2 T. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F. Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into 2-inch pieces.
2. In a bowl mix together meat, parsley, spices, bread crumbs, and onion. Shape into 2-inch size pieces, (same as potatoes.) Place in heatproof dish, alternately with potatoes.
3. Arrange pepper slices and tomatoes over meat.
4. Mix together tomato paste, 1 cup water, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes and meat. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.