This recipe comes from the 1997 Thanksgiving issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Don't forget to start in 24 hours in advance.
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground mace
2 large onions, quartered
2 cups chicken broth
1. Rinse the turkey and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Rub onto turkey. Refrigerate 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. Place turkey on top of onions; tie legs and tuck wings.
5. Sprinkle with pepper; cover loosely with foil.
6. Roast turkey 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; roast 30 minutes.
7. Baste with 1 cup chicken broth. Roast another hour, continuing to baste every 20 minutes.
8. Add the other cup of chicken broth; continue basting 1 more hour.
9. Check the temperature. If it isn't done, loosely cover with foil and continue to cook.
10. Let sit with foil tent for 30 minutes.