From Ina Garten
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ lb butter, room temperature
¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 9 Tbsp.
¼ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
¾ cup currants
1 cups walnuts, finely chopped
½ cup preserves, whisked or pureed in food processor or blender
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp. milk for egg wash
· Cream the cheese and butter until light. Add ¼ cup sugar, salt, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour until just combined.
· Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and roll it into a ball. Cut the ball into quarters and roll each quarter into a ball. Wrap each ball in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
· Combine 6 Tbsp. sugar, brown sugar, ½ tsp. cinnamon, currants, and walnuts.
· On a well-floured board, roll out one ball of dough at a time into a 9-inch circle. (If dough is cracking on the edges, it's too cold.) Spread out 2 Tbsp. of preserves (thinly cover). Sprinkle with ½ cup of filling, pushing down into the dough.
· Cut the circle into 12 wedges—first in quarters, then each quarter in thirds.
· Starting with the outside edge, roll inward, making sure to start out with a tight roll (but not tight enough to crush the dough).
· Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, point-side down.They do not puff up much, so they can be placed close together.
· Chill 30 minutes.
· Brush with the egg wash. Mix 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle on cookies.
· Bake 15-20 minutes at 350° until lightly browned. Let cool on wire rack.